Sunday 12 August 2007

Talking to journalists

Those sneaky Malaysian journalists lay a trap for me. They tried to get me to say that it was their own Malaysian government that was stonewalling any and all efforts to improve bilateral relations with Singapore. Fortunately I had not only been briefed well, but I already knew what I was going to say.

I respect the Malaysian media and its much vaunted "freedom of the press". But I think they don't understand their own leaders. Badawi's a good chap. I like him. He's a very different leader. In spite of his small physical stature, whenever I'm with him, I can't help but feel humbled.

So it's a pity that he gets the short end of the stick. His critics call him soft, lenient, unable to take a firm stand on anything. I say that it's all rubbish. Badawi has a good head on his shoulders. He has a tough job as leader of a Muslim-dominated country in these times. But he's done a good job in balancing the needs and wants of his people. I respect him.

I wish all leaders could be like him. It'd make my job much easier to do. Instead, I have to deal with folks like CT. He stole my thunder -- and on the front page of the papers no less! Now, my staff writers will need to rewrite my speech, so that it doesn't sound like I'm parroting him.

But in spite of that, I still need CT. He has experience, he's built bridges to the Middle East. When I told him to go to Teheran, he went. And his camaraderie with the general populace rubs off on me. Anyway, he seems to have quieted down somewhat, especially after his blunder last year. I just need to make sure that he's briefed better next time.

No comments: