Friday 10 August 2007

Teck Ghee National Day celebration

To my residents of Teck Ghee constituency,

Your inspirational and emotional performance on National Day was truly appreciated. I could see in the eyes of the young children that they loved their country deeply enough to give their all, even on a public holiday. And their parents waving and laughing. It was a sea of red and white, moving in unison to our national songs. I know some of you had trouble singing the lyrics, but I appreciate your efforts. It showed your patriotism and support for your country and MP.

To my grassroots leaders, be satisfied to know that your hard work has paid off. It was worth it entirely. We have certainly moved on from that fateful day. Election Day 2006. When one-third of my constituency voted against me. It was a painful moment. Very hurtful. But I've moved on. And I'm glad to see that you have too. Keep up the efforts to unite my constituency.

I'm glad that all of you made time to celebrate our National Day together. We must maintain our strong community bonds in this time of hardship. Terrorists are everywhere. They will exploit our moments of weakness to destroy us utterly. We must not allow that. A strong community is the first line against terrorists. We must put on our bold and united face against the enemy. Holding such community events serve to bring us together as one people, one nation.

It doesn't matter if we have to celebrate on our rest day. We must all make sacrifices for the greater good. I took time off from my busy schedule to participate with you too. You saw me later at the Parade. I was hale and hearty, full of gusto and energy. That is how we must all be. Put our all into our efforts, move quickly from one to the other. Don't falter, don't hesitate. Soldier on.

I look forward to our next grand celebration at the end of the year. I'm sure my grassroots leaders are already hard at work at putting on an even better show. It will require more sacrifices, but it will be worth it. Together, we can ensure that come next election, I will receive all of your votes.

No comments: